Larry J. Waters
Born: Nov. 16. 1946 Storm Lake, Iowa
High School: Fairfax High School, Fairfax, MN 1964
College: Mankato State, MN Bachelor of Science Degree 1969 and Masters in 1970 and University of New Mexico 1996-2015 in Sports Administration and English-Language Arts
Born in Storm Lake, Iowa and moved to Fairfax, Minnesota. My father was a semi-professional baseball player and played for numerous teams in southern Minnesota. He passed away suddenly when I was 12. I am the eldest of 4 children and my mother raised us as a single parent. In 1971 -1973, Larry served our country in the US Army. He was a player/coach of the European handball team. Larry moved to Albuquerque in 1975 for a new job opportunity and my sister and her husband lived here.
- 1962-1964 3-year letterman in football, basketball, baseball and golf.
- Active in activities: Music, drama, school publications.
- Obtain Eagle Scout rank in High School
- Swimming instructor and active in school drama.
- Managed the college pool, assisted in instruction in sailing, canoeing, water safety Instructor, and lifeguard training.
- First High School coach in NM to record over 400 soccer wins. Larry left as the winningest high school soccer coach with a record of 421-119-13
- 24 State Tournament appearance in 27 years
- 7 state championships in 10 state championship match appearances.
- 3 second place finishes and 17 total final 4 appearances
- Oak Grove Junior High School 1970-71 and 1972-75
- Taught 4 years in Bloomington, Minn. Coaches soccer, swimming, and tennis.
- Highland High School 1977-1986
- Taught 9 years at Highland
- 1981 Won the first ever 4A-3A New Mexico State Soccer Championship team with a 14-0-1 record. The Hornets beat Eldorado High School 3-1.
- 1985 Won his second 4A New Mexico State Soccer Championship with a 13-3-1 record. The Hornets beat the Albuquerque Academy 1-0.
- La Cueva High School 1987-2015
- Coached volleyball, golf, and soccer.
- 1987-2015 Served as Special Education, Speech, English and Physical Education teacher
- 1994-2008 Athletic director, and Dean of Students at La Cueva
- 1989 4A State Championship team – Co-Champions (No shootout to determine winner) as the tied Highland High School finishing with a 15-0-3 record.
- 1992 Finished 4A State runner-up with a 15-3 record losing to Sandia High School in the championship game 2-0.
- 1994 Won the AAAA State Soccer Championship with a 16-3 record beating Farmington High School3-2.
- 1996 Won the AAAA State Soccer Championship with a 16-3 record beating Sandia High School 2-0.
- 2001 Finished AAAAA State Runner up with a 18-7 record losing to Eldorado High School 1-0.
- 2002 Won the AAAAA State Soccer Championship with a 23-2 record beating Las Cruces High School 2-1.
- 2008 Won the AAAAA State Soccer Championship with a 22-2 record beating Mayfield High School 7-1.
- 2015 – Current Tennis: Assistant Coach to Dick Johnson. The team has won the team state title in 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2019.
- 1981 – 2006 Original staff for ASEP Coaches education in New Mexico teaching for Albuquerque Public Schools and New Mexico Activities Association.
- 1996-Current Serves as guest speaker, substitute faculty, and adjunct faculty in the UNM in the Sports Administration department in the areas of risk management, professional development, career development and duties & responsibilities of an athletic administrator.
- Coached the New Mexico Chilis Semi- Pro soccer team. National Open Cup 2nd Place
- 1996-2000 Coach and Technician at the United States Air Force Academy Soccer camps.
- 2014 Co-authored National Interscholastic Athletic Administrators Association (NAIAA) LTC Course 626 – Effects of Alcohol, Chemicals and Nutrition on the body and performance. Gave initial presentations at the NAIAA National Conference in the same year.
- 1985 New Mexico High School Coaches Association (NMHSCA) Soccer Coach of the Year
- 1991 NMHSCA Level II honor of 125+ wins
- 1994 New Mexico High School Coaches Association Soccer Coach of the Year
- 1995 NMHSCA Level III honor of 175+ wins
- 1998 NMHSCA Level IV honor of 225+ wins
- 2002 Albuquerque Sports Hall of Fame Special Recognition
- 2002 Albuquerque Sports Hall of Fame Team of the Year
- 2003 New Mexico High School Coaches Association Soccer Coach of the Year
- 2004 National High School Athletic Coaches Association Coach of the Year
- 2009 New Mexico Sports Hall of Fame Award of Distinction
- 2009 National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) Soccer Coach of the Year
- 2009 New Mexico High School Coaches Association Athletic Director of the Year
- 2009 NSCAA Certificate of Merit for outstanding service to the organization
- 2009 NIAAA State Award of Merit
- 2011 New Mexico Athletic Directors Association (NMADA) Hall of Honor
- 2011 NSCAA National Award of Commendation for Service
- 2015 New Mexico Activities Association (NMAA) Hall of Fame
- 2016 Recipient of Robert W. “Robby” Robinson Long-Term Service Award.
The Robert W. “Robby” Robinson Long-Term Service Award, recognizing long-term service to United Soccer Coaches and interscholastic soccer, is named for the Philadelphia-area high school coach who touched virtually every aspect of the association. award to a person who has raised interscholastic soccer to new heights through his or her long-term dedication to the game.
- Founding member and served on the Board of Directors for 10 years of the Southwest Soccer Complex in Bernalillo, New Mexico. (A 22 field nationally recognized complex). He was involved in the design, development and negotiations with Santa Ana Pueblo.
- 1978-1983 Aquatic Specialist and Supervisor for Albuquerque Parks and Recreation – oversaw pool inspections, training of WSI’s and lifeguards, learn to swim programs and the City’s Ditches are Deadly Program for eight years.
- 1978 – 2006 Huddle Coach for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes at Highland High School and La Cueva High School
- 1982 to Present American Coaches Effective Program teaching faculty for APS and NMAA
- 1983 to Present NSCAA Committee Chair and member of both the Coach of the Year and Fall Boys Ranking Committee. Ranking committee member for 30 years.
- 1990-1995 National committee member for the United Soccer Coach
- 1994 -2008 Coach and Director of La Cueva Fitness and Youth Soccer Camps and Team Camps
- 1996 to Present Serves on three committees for the United Soccer Coaches and am chair for the Fall Boys Soccer ranking committee
- 1998 2000 Soccer Camp Director for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes in Powell, Wyoming and St. Peter, Minnesota
- 1999 – Present Helped design and maintain website for New Mexico soccer: nmsoccer.com and lacuevabears.com
- 2004 – Present NIAAA National teaching faculty for classes 790 and 626 at the National Conventions
- 2005 – Present Serves as the District Chair for District 2 5A. Served in this position for 14 years
- 2006 – Present State AD Education Coordinator
- 2006 – Present Member of the NMADA
- 2008-2009 President of the NMADA
- 2009-2010 Past President
- 2007-2008 Treasurer
- Developed a statewide NMADA scholarship program
- 2006 – Present Serve as a member of the State Sports Specific Committee for soccer and swimming plus various state tournament ranking committees.
- 2007 -2010 Member of the NFHS Soccer Rules Committee
- 2007 – 2008 Board member of the New Mexico High School Coaches Association
- 2012 to Present Serves on 2 committees for the NIAAA
- 20 Years a member of the United Way d Tocqueville society.
- Member of the Scholar All-American Committee and the Robby Robinson Award Committee
- Member of Society for the Study of the Legal Aspects of Sport and Physical Activity. Larry is a presenter at the National Convention in 2000 and 2010
- Serves as deacon and Sunday school teacher for year.
- Married to my wife Renee for 42 1/2 years.
- 2 son – Zachariah and Micah. Both sons were college soccer players.
- 6 grandchildren.