Born June 20. 1948 Paris, Arkansas
Died: May 23, 1975
High School : Carlsbad High School (NM) 1966
College: University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP)
Paul was one of the best athletes ever in New Mexico in high school football and track. Paul Gibson is considered by most in the Carlsbad Track and Field Community to be a “Legend”. Paul was first discovered to be a hurdler “by accident” when someone left a hurdle on the track while sprinters were doing repeat 220’s. He effortlessly went over the hurdler to the surprise of the coaches. He had a great career at UTEP in both sports. He had a chance to play pro football and track. Unfortunately, he was killed in a car accident in 1975.
High School Accomplishments
- Track and Football Letterman?
- 1966 State Champion in 180-yard low hurdles and 220-yard dash. He was also part of the state championship 4×100 yard relay team.
- 1966 Won the Golden West 120-yard high hurdles, which at that time was considered the national high school championship with a hand time of 13.6 seconds. and is the only former athlete from Carlsbad High School to be considered a “National High School Champion”.
- 1967 – 1970 Played wide receiver on the football
- 1968 – NCAA All-American 60 Yd. Dash (Indoor Track)
- 1969 – NCAA All-American 60 Yd. Dash (Indoor Track)
- 1970 Won the NCAA 120-yard high hurdles title.
- 1970 Won the Western Athletic Conference 120-yard high hurdles title.
- 1970 Still holds the indoor 55-meter hurdles at 7.24 seconds record
- 1970 Member of the 4×100 yard relay team that set a UTEP school record.
- 1970 & 1971 Won two Western Athletic Conference titles in the 60-yard high hurdles.
- 1970 Ranked as one of the top 5 hurdles in the United States
- 1971 Set the outdoor 110 meters hurdles record of 13.64 seconds
- 1971 – WAC Champion: 60 Yd. High Hurdles
- Awarded All-American three times – Two times in the Indoor 55-yard hurdles and one time in the 120-yard hurdles
- Drafted in the eighth round of the 1972 National Football League Draft by the Buffalo Bills.
- 1972 Member of the Green Bay Packers … appeared in one game
- 1974 Signed with the International Track Association
- 2010 Inducted into the UTEP Sports Hall of Fame
- 2016 Inducted into the Carlsbad High School Athletic Hall of Fame