Steven “Fami” Famiglietta
Born: January 25, 1966 Brooklyn, New York
High School: Cibola High School 1984
College: University of New Mexico
• Four-year letterman in Soccer
• 1982 All District and All State First Team
• 1983 All District and All State First Team
• 1983 Team’s Most Valuable Player
• 1984 High School All-American
• Traveled playing both youth club soccer and men’s teams.
• Full Scholarship to University of New Mexico for Soccer. He played only one season.
Steven moved to Rio Rancho, New Mexico when he was ten with his mother, stepfather and brothers. Immediately Steve got involved with youth soccer. A neighbor, Harry Gabel, had started the Rio Rancho soccer club and introduced Steve to the sport. Soccer became Steve’s passion from this time on.
Immediately Steve got involved with the sport in all facets, playing, officiating, coaching and mentoring. Steve was offered a pro contract in Europe with FC Olten in Switzerland. Shortly before leaving for Europe to begin his pro contract, Steve was involved in a car accident that tore his ACL leaving him unable to play for the European team. Steve would rehab and start playing soccer for the University of New Mexico. After one season for UNM, Steve was recruited to play in the Southwest Indoor Soccer League (SISL). He was an inaugural member of
the league’s first 8 teams which later became the United Soccer League (USL). During his time with SISL, Steve was honored with the opportunity to represent the USL by competing in Russia. Steve continued to play indoor and outdoor soccer for numerous teams, also playing as a player-coach.
After retiring as a player for 32 years in 2007, Steve’s focus shifted wholly to coaching and mentoring players. In roles such as Technical Director and Director of Coaching for numerous New Mexico Youth Clubs, Steve has continuously travelled the State giving back to the soccer community.
Professional Playing Career
• 1986 Albuquerque Outlaws, USL, Inaugural Year
• 1987-1988 Albuquerque Gunners, USL
• 1988 New Mexico Chilis, USL
• 1988-1993 Colorado Comets, USL
• 1989 USL All Star Team, Russian Tour
• 1994-1995 Amarillo Challengers, USL (player/coach)
• 2006-2008 New Mexico Banditos, PASL, (player/coach)
o 2-time USL Defensive Player of the Year 1987,1988
o 3-time USL All Star 3-time USL All Star even touring the former Soviet Union as part of the USL All Star Team.
• 1980-1997 Rio Rancho Soccer Club- Staff Coach, Director of Coaching
• 1997-2000 FC West Soccer Club, Director of Coaching
• 2000-2003 Sandia Prep, Assistant Coach
• 2000-2002 Zia Soccer Club, Assistant Director of Coaching
• 2002-2017*various years NMYSA, Olympic Development Program, Coach
• 2003-2006 Albuquerque United FC, Asst. Director of Coaching
• 2008-2011 Albuquerque United FC Head Coach
• 2011-2019 Albuquerque United FC Technical Director
• 2006-2008 New Mexico Clash Soccer, Director of Coaching
• 2015-2018 US Soccer, player scout
• 2018-current New Mexico Runners MISL , Head Coach
• 2019-current Rio Rapids Soccer Club, Head Coach
• 2019 USA Men’s Indoor National Team, Coaching Staff
• 2006 Inducted in the USL Hall of Fame in 2006 as a President’s Selection.
• 2007 The city of Rio Rancho recognized Steve after his USL induction with an award
• 2010 Cibola High School Athletic Hall of Fame
• 2019 MLS Colorado Rapids Coaches Symposium Guest Coach
• Steve annually conducts soccer camps for kids in rural communities waiving payment for those who cannot afford it. Steve also regularly collects soccer gear, cleats, uniforms etc., and donates them to communities in need.
• Following in the footsteps of his mentor, Harry Gabel, Steve mentors young players through involvement in coaching and officiating to make a more well-rounded player and human being.
• Steve is a financial supporter of the Domestic Violence Resource Center of NM and National Dance Institute (NDI) of NM.
• Kelly, wife
• Two children, Megan and Nick, and four stepchildren
• Eight dogs, 3 pot-bellied pigs, one mini donkey, and one mini horse.